Grade: 5 Point 22 rising to Point 25.
35 hours per week (8.00am-3.30pm includes a 30 minute unpaid lunch break)
Monday – Friday Term time only (195 days plus 5 additional days)
St Ann’s School is the London Borough of Ealing’s only Special Secondary High School for young people aged 11-19 years with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties and complex Severe Learning Difficulties. There are currently 103 students on roll. The Governing Body is committed to meeting the on-going professional development needs of all staff.
St Ann’s School is looking for a Commis Chef who has a passion for food and wants to join our school team producing high quality and delicious meals for students. We are supported by Chefs in Schools and are proud to be a Unicef Gold Rights Respecting School.
- *Work as part of a team preparing fresh, interesting and nutritious school meals within budget and which meet the Government’s School Food Standards at all times
- *Preparation of service areas and equipment in the service area for the efficient and effective delivery of meals and catering services
- *Cleaning of catering areas and kitchen equipment to the required standards.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare meals in accordance with an agreed seasonal menu cycle.
- Prepare menus in accordance with the school food standards allowing for allergen issues, specific dietary and cultural requirements.
- Following appropriate training, preparing specialist meals to meet the physical and sensory challenges our students face including pureed meals, restricted diets etc
- Ensure full adherence to recipes, food presentation standards and portion control.
- Ensure that meals are presented and served in an attractive way
- Assist with the creation of menu ideas for discussion with the Head Chef Educator.
- Assist in food based teaching and learning sessions with groups of students.
- Work to deadlines to ensure meals are served promptly
- Support the school’s emphasis on health and wellbeing
- Support projects such as the vegetable and herb garden and food recycling projects
- Prepare the dining area, which may include moving and setting up furniture, setting trolleys and dismantling as required.
- Ensure sufficient supplies throughout the service period.
- Ensure a high standard of hygiene and cleanliness that complies with service standards and statutory requirements.
- On occasion when the Head Chef Educator is not on site, lead on preparing a simple, familiar school lunch
- On occasion and with agreement, to assist with food preparation and support special events which may be outside normal hours.
Cleaning and General Tasks:
- Clean on a daily basis all catering areas to the required standard.
- Attend to the cleanliness of storage areas, including fridges and freezers.
- Ensure cutlery, crockery serving utensils, containers, tables and all other catering equipment is clean and maintained in good condition
- Ensure that deliveries are put away in rotation and participate in regular stock taking as required.
- Take all necessary steps to ensure the maximum security of kitchen supplies and equipment
- Inform the Head Chef Educator of any defects with equipment or of failure to meet Health and Safety Standards or Food Hygiene Regulations.
- Ensure that policies and procedures with regard to health, safety and hygiene are adhered to at all times.
- Ensure all kitchen equipment is maintained in good condition
- Wear appropriate clothing at all times
- Attend training sessions and meetings as required.
- Work as part of a team contributing to the aims and values of the kitchen and the ethos of the school.
- Seek guidance from the Head Chef Educator as appropriate.
Undertake any other duties in line with the level of the post as required to ensure the efficient and effective running of the school kitchen.
How to apply:
please visit the school website for an application pack and more information at: Vacancies – St Ann’s School (stannsschool.co.uk)
We are committed to safer recruitment, safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be required to apply for an Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS). Further information can be found at: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/dbs-checking-service-guidance–2
Closing date: application forms to be submitted to the school by Friday 20th May 2022
Interview date: week commencing Monday 23rd May 2022